Director of Blended Learning Director of MSc in Business Management
- MB405 – Corporate Finance
- MA460 – Corporate Finance
- MA565 – Foundations of Accounting and Finance
- FB580 – Financial Modeling with Excel
- MA510 – Career and Industry Seminars
- IND440 – Finance Induction
- Final Project Workshop (MSc in Business Management)
- Moodle Workshop
- Final Project (thesis) supervision for MSc Business Management and for MBA
Olga Kandinskaia is the MSc Business Management Programme Director and Assistant Professor of Finance at CIIM. She has PhD in Economics (1995) from the MGIMO-University, one of the most reputable schools in Moscow. This university is described by www.topuniversities.com as “Russia’s most prestigious and most advanced place for understanding international affairs.” Ranked among the top 5 Russian universities according to the QS World University Ranking (QS WUR), MGIMO-University is often referred to as “the Harvard of Russia” – http://english.mgimo.ru/
Dr Kandinskaia joined CIIM on a full-time basis in 2011. She had been a visiting lecturer at CIIM since 2002. She has 20+ years of experience in teaching undergraduate, graduate (MBA) and executive courses at different universities and colleges in Cyprus, UK and Russia.
Olga’s PhD research (1995) was in the area of financial derivatives as risk management tools. At that time, she also had practical experience of working as a futures/derivatives broker. Her current expertise is in the areas of Financial Management, Business Planning, Strategic Investment Decisions, Corporate Finance, and Business Valuation. Her focus is on interactive, customized and practically relevant learning where theory is applied to real-life cases. In 2017, Dr Kandinskaia won the top prize in the international competition by The Case Centre in the category ‘Outstanding New Case Writer’ – http://www.thecasecentre.org
In Cyprus, Dr Kandinskaia has recently trained professionals from organisations including Barclays Bank, Nest Investments, CYTA, MTN, Confisio Managed Services, C Zackheos Property Valuations Ltd, Resolute Asset Management, Shamrock Shipping & Trading, PHC Franchised Restaurants, Hellenic Bank, Four Seasons Hotel and PricewaterhouseCoopers (Cyprus). She has substantial consulting experience in business, and has written and published several case studies. As Director of the MSc Business Management, Dr Kandinskaia organizes yearly a Corporate Live Case Project, which is a business consultancy project completed by the groups of graduate students for a specific company.
Research and Publications
Olga has an extensive record of publications, initially in Russian and recently all in English, which include two books (in Russian) and more than 50 articles in academic and business journals. Her initial research was in the area of risk management, while her current research interests are focused on business case writing, with the main topics of capital budgeting, financial planning, business strategy, and financial analysis. Her other area of research is blended learning and e-learning.
RECENT PAPERS IN ACADEMIC JOURNALS
Kandinskaia, O. (2017). Financial Troubles at Cyprus Airways. Journal of Case Studies of the Society for Case Research, May 2017, Vol. 35, No. 1, p. 12 – www.sfcrjcs.org/index.php/sfcrjcs (a US peer-reviewed academic journal)
Kandinskaia, O. (2015). ENGINO Toys: Staying in China or Moving to Europe? Business Case Journal of the Society for Case Research, Summer 2015, Volume 23, Issue 2, pp. 6-16 – www.sfcr.org/bcj/ (a US peer-reviewed academic journal)
Top prize in the international case writing competition by The Case Centre for 2017 in the category ‘Outstanding New Case Writer’ – www.thecasecentre.org
Kandinskaia, O. (2015). ENGINO Toys: Staying in China or Moving to Europe? Case, teaching note and case supplement, Ref 115-085-1 / 4 / 8, The Case Centre, 11 December 2015.
RECENT PEER REVIEWED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Huyghebaert, N. and Kandinskaia, O. (2017). Recticel’s Capital Increase: Implementation, Timing, Valuation, and Dividends Dilemma. Presented at the Spring 2017 Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, 7-8 April, 2017, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2017). Laiki Bank Capital Securities: Investor’s Risks and Returns on the (Not so) Perpetual Fixed Income Instruments. Presented at the 2017 Annual MBAA International Conference, March 22-24, 2017, Chicago, USA. A revised version was also presented at the 24th Annual Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, 26-29 June, 2017, Bucharest, Romania.
- Dementieva, A., Kandinskaia, O., Khotyasheva, O. (2016). NORILSK NICKEL Case: Corporate War in a Leading Russian Company. Presented at the Spring 2016 Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, 22-24 April, 2016, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2016). Bankruptcy of TRANSAERO, Russia’s No.2 Airline: Was it Worth Saving? Presented at the Spring 2016 Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, 22-24 April, 2016, Limassol, Cyprus. A revised version was also presented at the 23rd Annual Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, 26-29 June, 2016, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2016). CYPRUS AIRWAYS: Was Poor Management Visible Via Financial Statements? Presented at the 2016 Annual MBAA International Conference, April 13-15, 2016, Chicago, USA.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2015). Choosing Financial Performance Measures for SMEs: Review of Approaches in Empirical Studies. Presented at the Spring Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, Cyprus, Larnaca, 18-19 April, 2015. A revised version was also presented at the 22nd Annual Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, Halkidiki, 28 June – 1 July, 2015.
- Kandinskaia, O., Sisamos, C. (2014). Does it Make Financial Sense to Bring Manufacturing Back to Europe? A Case Study Illustration of a Strategic Investment Decision at a European SME. Presented at the Symposium of the Multinational Finance Society, Cyprus, Larnaca, 4-5 April, 2014.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2013). Adopting Blended Learning – Practical Challenges and Possible Solutions for Small Private Institutions. Presented at the 12thEuropean Conference on E-Learning ECEL, France, Sophia Antipolis, 30-31 October 2013.
SAMPLE OF RECENT PAPERS IN BUSINESS JOURNALS
- Kandinskaia, O. (2017). CIIM-Zorbas Student Project: Learning by Doing. Financial Mirror, 06.2017, p.5.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2017). Virtuous Cycle of Case Writing: Beneficial Connections between Companies and Business Schools. Financial Mirror, 05.2017, p.5.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2017). Learning about Innovation in an Innovative way. Financial Mirror, 03.2017, p.5.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2016). CIIM-Medochemie Student Project: Learning by Doing. Financial Mirror, 07.2016, p.6.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2016). Ways to Boost Competitiveness in Europe: ENGINO Case. Accountancy Cyprus, Vol 122, pp. 48.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2015). Choosing the Right Path. The Cyprus Weekly, 25 December 2015, p.85.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2015). Toy Story: ENGINO is a perfect example of how SMEs can boost competitiveness in Europe. GOLD Magazine, 20 December 2015, p. 77.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2015). Ways to boost competitiveness in Europe: analyzing the ENGINO case. Financial Mirror, 10.2015, p.6.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2015). CIIM Launches New Digital Marketing Specialisation for the MSc Management. Financial Mirror, 27.05.2015, p.6.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2014). Cyprus Airways through the Eyes of Potential Investors. Financial Mirror, 26.11.2014, p.6.
- Kandinskaia, O. (2014). A New Cold War: Is Cyprus Prepared? GOLD Magazine, 14 September 2014, p. 82.
- Kandinskaia, O.(2010). Banks will keep lucrative business, Accountancy Cyprus, Vol 100, pp. 106-108.
Olga writes regularly for many local editions on the topics of economy, entrepreneurship and education www.sigmalive.com, www.goldnews.com.cy, www.inews.gr, www.cyprusnews.eu, www.cyprusnewsreport.com.
BOOKS IN RUSSIAN
- Дегтярева О.И., Кандинская О.А. Биржевое дело: учебник. Москва, Юнити, 1997. (Degtiariova, O., Kandinskaia, O. (1997). EXCHANGE TRADING: UNIVERSITY COURSE. Moscow: UNITY Publishing House)
- Кандинская О.А. Управление финансовыми рисками: поиск оптимальной стратегии. Москва, Консалтбанкир, 2000. (Kandinskaia, O. (2000). MANAGING FINANCIAL RISKS: LOOKING FOR THE OPTIMAL STRATEGY. Moscow: CONSULTBANKER Publishing House)