Dr Theodore Panayotou has been the Director of CIIM since 2000 when he succeeded Dr Jim Leontiades.
Dr Panayotou, or Theo, is on an extended sabbatical from Harvard University where he served as Director of the Environment and Sustainable Development Program at the Centre for International Development (CID) and taught Environmental Economics.
Dr Panayotou has published over 100 papers, monographs and books on environmental economics, policy and management, and is considered a world authority on economic instruments and financing mechanisms for sustainable development.
Prior to taking up his post at Harvard, Dr Panayotou held positions at several universities throughout Southeast Asia. He has also served as an advisor to government industries in China, Indonesia, Thailand, Russia and the United States, as well as countries in Eastern Europe, Central America and the Mediterranean. Dr Panayotou has been consulted by many international organisations, including the World Bank, UNDP, UNEP and FAO.
He has a BA from the University of Athens, an MA from York University, and a PhD from the University of British Columbia in Canada.
Theodoros Panayotou is an active blogger on topics such as the Economy, Entrepreneurship, Unemployement, and Green Energy, among others.
- Director of CIIM (2000 – Present)
- John Sawhill Lecturer in Environmental Policy, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University,
- Professor, Ethics in Business & Government and Corporate Environmental Management, CIIM, (2000 – Present)
- Associate and Country Representative (Thailand) of the Agricultural Development Council and Winrock International (1982 – 1985)
- Visiting Profes¬sor of Economics, Kasetsart and Thammasat Universities, Bangkok, Thailand (1978 – 1985)
- Program Specialist with the Agricultural Development Council, New York (1981 – 1982)
- Rockefeller Foundation Special Staff for Policy Analysis (1980)
- Economic Consultant, Criterion Analysis, Dallas, Texas (1974)
- Economist, Ministry of Finance, Cyprus (1972)